How to become a priest? Becoming a Priest is a serious decision and also a post of honor. It all basically begins at home. A Priest is a witness of “alter Christus” which is a Latin word that means “Other Christ”. If a person feels like Good is calling him and feels the devotion to God then becoming a priest is the path for you. A priest is the one that not only serves God he is also there for the ones around for help. Let us see what are the criteria’s for How To Become A Priest?
How To Become A Priest?
Becoming a Priest means performing duties like celebrating Mass and also performing rites like marriages and funeral services. There are some basic criteria and qualifications required which are mentioned below.
4 Steps to becoming a priest
- You must earn a Bachelor’s degree
- Become a candidate
- You must go to a Seminary or must complete Graduate Work
- Must become Ordained
Understanding The Steps to Become Priest
here are the steps that will help you o understand How To Become A Priest.
- You must earn a Bachelor’s degree – You can earn a bachelor’s degree in any field although it is beneficial if you pursue a degree in English, Philosophy, religion, or communications. There are also some seminaries that educate priests and prepare them for the life ahead with undergraduate coursework in fields like philosophy and also help educate in religious studies.
- Become a candidate – In some of the churches, it becomes a plus point if you have contact with priests and church leaders. For others, the candidacy can be acquired at the time of discernment and reflection.
- You must go to a Seminary or must complete Graduate Work – You may have to attend a seminary before the ordination. Some churches like Roman Catholic may also require that a candidate goes to seminary for a minimum of 4 years. Seminary program courses are after graduation in subjects like Biblical Studies, Ethics, Church History, and many more. Ambitious priests may also go for degrees like Master of Divine and other degrees like these.
- Must become Ordained – In the final step and at the end of seminary training a candidate is ordained that is also called receiving the sacrament of holy orders. This Ordained is commonly performed during Mass celebrations or at the time of other ceremonies. It all depends on the catholic denominations. After this, a priest receives his assignment or he begins to live a religious life with other members
Criteria For Becoming A Priest
These are some criteria’s that are required to become a Priest
- Age should be between 17 to 55 years
- You must not have any liabilities likes any kind loans or credit cards
- You must have a connection or familiarity with the Diocese of Arlington. Or with people who are working or studying with the diocese.
- There should not be any sexual disorder like homosexuals
- If a person has been dismissed by any other priestly formation program or institute then he must wait for at least two years so that he is again considered for the priestly formation n in the Diocese of Arlington.
- If a candidate has recently converted to the faith or has been just returned back then he must wait for a minimum of 2 years before an acceptance to priestly in the Diocese of Arlington.
Qualification for Becoming A Priest
These are the basic qualifications required. The degree can be In any field like English, Philosophy, or religion. Also, Communications or History can be beneficial.
- A Bachelor’s Degree (standard requirement)
- A Seminary Program (general requirement)
- A Master’s Degree (Optional)
Key Skills required
- strong verbal skills and listening skills
- Knowledge of the Bible
- Leadership skills
- Religious Devotion is a must
How Long Does It Take To Become A Priest?
To become a priest it takes about 8 years that is 4 years of college graduation and 4 years of Seminary
Is it hard to become a priest?
Becoming a Priest needs a lot of hard work. Although degrees can be earned by an average student also but then there is a lot of intense spiritual and personal stress that you must be able to handle when you go through the seminary training. All this takes 6 to 8 years of time which is about lots of hard work and also a big investment in your lifetime
Do you get paid to be a priest?
A priest’s salary is a modest salary and mainly the income is through housing allowances, bonuses, and other benefits that are from church or parish that help and support spiritual development.
Can a woman be a priest?
No, a woman can’t become a priest.
Can I become a priest if I have a child?
You can become a priest also if you have children. Not only this you will have to support your child till he turns 18 years old. Also in some Roman Catholic churches, you are allowed to be married.
Becoming a priest is a profession or post of great honor and responsibility. The priesthood is one of the 3 holy orders in a Catholic church. You need at least 8 years to become a priest. Although all churches have different rules for priests the basic qualification is near about the same. In the above article, we have described How To Become A Priest?